Sunday, September 27, 2009

TASK 3

Do all students have a capacity to learn?

Absolutely!!! Every student in our classrooms is born with the ability to think and reason--ergo they can learn. What changes is the level and the pace at which each can perform.

What shapes this capacity?

I think various factors contribute in shaping their capacity to learn. I see it as a circle in which the learner is at the center. First comes the family, then the community--neighbors/neighborhood, church or lack off, friends and school. Each plays an important role of support and of providing experiences in which the learner will engage in learning or have the opportunity to learn in some form.

How much influence do I have upon this capacity?

As a world language teacher I have some influence, not as much as their regular teacher for two reasons. Time spent with the students is a key factor. I see them for a total of 75 mins/week. Another is the subject I teach. Since I teach primary grades only, the content remains at a basic level and does not allow me to move to higher order thinking. However, in terms of learning Spanish, my students as a whole do very well regardless of how they are categorized in other areas (high, low, etc). Actually it is in my class where all learners begin basically at the same level allowing them ample opportunities to succeed regardless of their status or special needs. I love this fact because I see the surprise in the regular teachers'face when they see "struggling" students participate and learn in Spanish what they have had difficulty teaching in English!!!!

How do these assumptions shape my instruction?

It challenges me as a teacher to continually find ways to keep my students engaged and enthusiastic about learning--not just Spanish but about being learners. It also motivates me to know that I can make a difference in the way these students view themselves, that is, they are not losers, dummies or "stupid." They can succeed in something if they persist in everything!!!

I choose Domain 1. Planning & Preparation

2 comments:

  1. I love how foriegn language can do this. It shows the children who have always been struggling that they can succeed and be good at something. It also teaches the higher students that they are going to struggle at times and not everything is going to come easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing that frustrates me at my son's school is that they ability group for language instruction (starting in kindergarten). I agree that for some kids who traditionally struggle in a classroom language instruction gives them a different way to shine. I think foreign language in elementary is wonderful for that very reason and also so that the kids develop that part of their identities. I love that my son considers himself a German speaker- how cool is that! I think self-perception is so critical to learning-

    ReplyDelete